mardi 10 septembre 2013

Manchester Apollo, 1981

Venue: Manchester Apollo
Line-up : Dave Brock / Martin Griffin / Harvey Bainbridge / Huw Lloyd Langton


I got this bootleg on cd-R years ago, labelled "manchester apollo 1982"and have no clue about the original source - but in those days, converting live gigs to mp3 and re-burning the mp3s to cd-r was not a common habit ; so I'm pretty sure the cd-R was copied from an
"original tape" without lossy conversion. On the other hand, I have no idea of the "generation" of the tape - master recording ? Copy ? Copy of a copy ? Who knows.The fact is, this is not a 1982 gig at all ; 1981 is the correct year, and on the CD the first and second half of the gig had been swapped
(according to the starfarer.net setlists). So there's a lot of probability this is a copy of a copy, with sides A and B of the original tape confused.
The cd version had some old "earth calling" version added at the beginning of track one, I don't know why ; I removed that (I"m pretty sure it's a common version circa 72, maybe at Potters bar, and it sure doesn't belong to a 1982 gig)
and did a (slight) bit of mastering. I also put the songs in correct order. This may not be the best HW bootleg ever, but it can be listened to with some pleasure, especially the rather un-conventional version of "Golden Void". Enjoy !


Manchester Apollo 1981 - FLAC - remastered (dropbox link)


3 commentaires:

  1. Thank you very much. There isn`t enough Hawkwind material out there. I was lucky enough to see them one time during The U.S. Quark tour back in 1977. They were sandwhiched in between 2 metal bands of the time..The godz and Angel who had top billing. Tower theater in Pennsylvania.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Ahoy!
    Any chance for a re-up? I'd sure love to hear your work on this one.
    Thanks for all your efforts, they're much appreciated (I have the other remasters you did - awesome).
    Cheers,
    MLP

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hi, I was at the Apollo gig back in 1981. Any chance that you could reupload the file?

    RépondreSupprimer